Arrival to Kathmandu, Nepal

Written by steven hall on Sunday, April 22, 2007 at 12:30 AM

22 April 2007
Kathmandu

All the details of the trip have gone nearly to perfection. I arrived at Tribhaven Airport, got my visa for $30 as described, and had a driver waiting for me with a placard displaying my name.

He took me to the hotel Vashaili, a 3-star hotel, which was quite nice. And it was like $15 a night. As I walked inside the all-marlble lobby from the ornate courtyard, a girl met me at the check-in desk with freshly-squeezed mango juice to drink as I was filling out the paper work. I thought, "I could seriously like this!"

I then walked to Nature Trails, my trekking guide company, and met with the owner, Bishnu, paid the bill and met my guide, Ramesh. In reality, guide means “person who does and knows everything…” I seem to be in good hands. (note: later in the trek, he actually saved my life...details later)

I then walked Thamel, which the NW quadrant of Kathmandu. By contrast to the rest of the city, Thamel has kind of a “Disney” feeling in that there are literally 1000’s of little cafes and shops covering a maze of small streets. It is relatively clean and charming to walk as you avoid cars, buses, and hand-pulled rickshaw. Think of all those videos you've probably seen on TV from little crowded streets in Hong Kong--just like that only more vegetation crammed in, slightly more rustic, and charming. You can feel people making money and deals in the area... Picture at right is from the roof-top garden restaurant I had supper in: a huge plate of pasta, rice, chicken and veggies, two bottled (ca. 1980) pepsi-colas, and some bread...$.90.

Transcendental grade for Nepali exchange rate: 7/7 chakras... with $500 you could buy the whole country.

0 Responses to "Arrival to Kathmandu, Nepal"