Utilizing Technology in the Presidential Campaigns

Written by steven hall on Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 1:52 AM

There is no questions that even among the last 10 years of technological increase it seems we are perpetually, exponentially, increasing still. So it my curiosity is whet as I look to see how each of the two primary Presidential candidates have utilized this industry to reach their constituents, both new and old.

The clear edge in tech clearly goes to Obama, as he has predominantly relied on it to both raise money (record amounts) yet also to keep his "followers" apprised of his goings-on. Just a few moments ago, as I have daily, it seems, I recieved this email from Obama:

Steven --

I just finished my first debate with John McCain.

Millions of Americans finally got a chance to see us take on the fundamental choice in this election -- the change we need or more of the same.

...[edited out the rest]

Thank you for all that you're doing,
Barack

Twitter.com, which has feeds for both candidates is also a telling factor: McCain has 5 posts to Obama's 200+.

okay my battery light is flashing at me so there is more to come on this--but I welcome your thoughts and responses!

Okay back on line here. My battery did, indeed die about 20 seconds after I finished the above....

For me the importance of this topic is that we live in a world of technology--it is absolutely pervasive in our lives in America--for most the world too. Be it economy, emergent health trends, communications, warfare, intelligence--all of this is utterly dependent on technology or we find ourselves back in the stone age in pretty short order.

Is it important for the leader of the greatest country in the world to have a grasp on technology? I think so--and I recognize that no one really can know it all. But take in to account that in this election race, we are, as a nation, sitting at our TVs, but probably spending more time at our PCs just *waiting* to be talked to, I find it odd that only one of the candidates is reaching out utilizing the very ordinary technologies of the day--online video and email. He's also tapping in to some new technology to, like twitter.com and a website with some very advanced programming. To be sure CNN and others have plenty of that for us to consume -- but Obama's crowd have taken the technology "bull" by the horns and made it subservient to the goal of his possible Presidency. Should he win, I believe it will be as much for this reason as it is his message.

I see this insight to act in ways that resonate with our times as an important one. It means he's aware. It means he is willing to go a different route, stepping outside the boundaries of the historic technological campaign trends.

This is not to say he'll win because of the planks in his platform. This isn't about that. It's about an opinion that thinks we ought to consider that the way a candidate pursues his goals may be as telling, to a degree, as the goal itself.

If McCain didn't realize the best way to get the message out to millions of Americans should also include very ordinary, not to mention inexpensive, technologies--in what other antiquated ways will he act? Will he be cutting edge in a world full of advances? I think it is a consideration worth weighing.

0 Responses to "Utilizing Technology in the Presidential Campaigns"