Why is good leadership & organization so hard to find?

Written by steven hall on Monday, September 22, 2008 at 9:32 AM

I just love Mondays... not really, but I do love life. There so many things I love. Exceptional dumbass-ness is not one of them.

I work on the the State of Texas Fair Grounds and they are in full swing prepping everything for the grand opening of this year's state fair in just a few weeks. The amount of stupidity that is running around under hard-hats and helmets out there is awe-inspiring. Let's take parking: Each year the State Fair Administration under the direction of one E.M. commandeers all parking spaces and entrances/exits for the purpose of the fair. The problem is that for all of the staff, who work year-round at one of the venues, parking is removed. And the temp-working, little english-speaking tards who are supposed to direct us to our monthly hell of a parking situation, simply look at us with a blank expression of, "did I change my underpants this morning?" and then refuse to let us in the grounds.

To this end I attribute the title of this blog. I know there are people who are conscienciously working to maintain professionalism and good organization--and I work with a couple of them. So I wonder why it seems so few and far between that I encounter them? In an overload, it seems the first thing to go is communication. Like, "hey tard--when one of the valued staff needs to get in to park--LET THEM." See how that would take care of it? So simple; so overlooked.

If you *are* in a position of leadership, I emplore you to stay organized, get help when you need it, *recognize* that you need help, and then communicate, communicate, communicate. Please don't be a tard.

Here is a quiz to see if you're a good leader or a tard--good luck.

Transcendental grade for parking attendants: 0 out of 7 chakras

Have a similar or contrary opinion? Lemme have it!

ADDENDUM
Having now issued this diatribe on leader vs. tard -- thought I should take the quiz too. Looks like I'm not *too* far off!

2 Responses to "Why is good leadership & organization so hard to find?"

Comment by The Missional Position
Monday, September 22, 2008 at 5:55:00 PM CDT #  

I love the blog post on tards and leadership. It leads me to this question...

so you can get me, like, tickets to stuff huh? ;)

Comment by steven hall
Monday, September 22, 2008 at 11:15:00 PM CDT #  

oh I think I can get you tickets to stuff...